One of my students posted links to this article on her Facebook page:
It explained that research has shown that music lessons:
1. Improved your reading and verbal skills.
2. Improved your mathematical and spatial-temporal reasoning.
3. Helped your grades.
4. Raised your IQ.
5. Helped you learn languages more quickly.
6. Made you a better listener, which helps a lot when you’re older.
7. Will slow the effects of aging.
8. Strengthened your motor cortex.
9. Improved your working memory.
10. Improved your long-term memory for visual stimuli.
11. Made you better at managing anxiety.
12. Enhanced your self-confidence and self-esteem.
13. Made you more creative.